Sunday, September 24, 2006

Patriotism or Individualism? by Karl

As I get older I notice a greater shift from patriotism, love and loyalty to our country, to individualism or egoism and the belief that the country only exists to please me and I should be allowed to do anything I please.
I believe I've always been a true patriot with conservative values and never harmed others on purpose. I served in the Army in Korea and did my duty, without complaint, to the best of my ability and still respect our flag.
I was a young boy during World War two and everyone was patriotic to the core. Me and my friends would search everywhere for scrap metal and paper to give to the war effort and were glad to do so. We did anything that was asked of us with no thought of any rewards because we were so proud of our country even at that young age. I remember the school paper drives and the contests to see who could bring the most.
This country was in total agreement to what had to be done and had the will to do it.
This patriotism lasted through the Korean War but started down hill during the Vietnamese war and reached rock bottom for some before it was over. It was sickening watching the filthy hippies burning our flag and acting like wild animals in every way and now it seems to be happening all over again with some of our brain-washed youth. What a shame.
For a short time after 9/11 we all came together briefly but politics got in the way. Maybe something will happen soon to make us regain that seemingly lost love, loyalty and respect for our great country. ...Karl

No comments: