Saturday, September 16, 2006

Gold country memories #1 by Madeline

After reading Karls' memory of the iceman I thought back to my pre-teen years and what I remembered the most were the snows that we got in our small gold mining town of Nevada City, Ca. http://www.nevadacitychamber.com/
I was about 5 when Pearl Harbor was attacked and the only entertainment
was the movie house on the main street of town if you had the 15 cents which I seldom had so me and my friends made do with our own ingenuity. I remember the winters when we got several feet of snow so much in fact that we could walk over fences instead of through the gates. This made for great sledding which was me and my friends favorite winter sport. We would get at the top of Long Street ,where we lived, which was just perfect for speed with a touch of danger thrown in and several of us would tie our sleds together in tandem which would force us to play follow the leader. We never knew where we would wreck but only that we would find a way somehow to end each ride with a tumble. If by some miracle we made it all the way to the bottom we would almost always crash into each other since we were playing follow the leader but regardless of the crashes we would all get up giggling as little kids do. Other than the occasional scratch or bruise I can't remember anyone getting hurt but only having heartfelt fun..........Madeline