Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11 remembered

I can't believe it's been five years since the day our lives changed so drastically. Madeline and I were getting dressed in a motel room in Aberdeen Washington when we heard on television that a plane had flown into the trade tower. We were on vacation exploring several National Parks across the country on our way to see our youngest daughter, son-in-law, and grandson in Portland Oregon and had spent the prior day visiting Olympic N.P.
At first glance I assumed a small plane was involved as I recalled one had flown into the Empire State Bdlg. years before but when a second one followed we knew it was a terrorist act. We left for the few hours drive to Portland listening intently to the news on the radio and it seemed no one knew what exactly was going on. We stopped for breakfast at a fast food place and stories were abundant but we could tell people there knew no more than us and were as anxious as us for details of what was going on. We continued on and still believed that the fires would be put out untill the tragic news that both towers had collasped. We had a certain amount of fear as we crossed the long bridge from Washington into Astoria Oregon wondering if the terrorist acts might be country wide. In the week we stayed with our daughter I stayed glued to the TV wondering if something might prevent me from traveling home. We heard that gasoline might cost $5 a gallon or more and other scare stories so we were a bit edgy to say the least. After our week was up we decided to chance it and said our goodbyes and hit the road with $1.59 gas and made it to Yreka, California and every gas station in town had decided to gouge everyone with $2 gas. I bought $8 worth which was enough to get me to the next town because I hate to be ripped off and I will never spend another penny in that town. My idea worked as my next purchase was $1.69 gas which was the highest priced on my trip. Patriotism was alive as flags were waving from overpasses and buildings and anyplace one could be planted.
We decided that those Muslim animals were not going to ruin our plans so we headed toward Death valley N.P. and despite the heat we enjoyed the sights there. After our park visit we drove toward Hoover Dam and saw signs warning that only cars were being allowed to cross the dam and since we were driving a hightop converted van wondered if we would be considered a car for it would be quiet a detour if we had to turn around. What a relief it was as they waved us across and I mouthed a thank you. We made it back to Alabama and for a while everyone seemed to stick together with a common cause but in these short 5 years many have forgotten as they fight every anti-terrorist act that is put forth.

No comments: